11 months, 1 week ago
Inaugural AI Africa Conference
MIIA has been represented at the inaugural AI Africa Conference on 26 and 27 October 2017 at Sandton Convention Centre, Johannesburg, where Dr Jacques Ludik has delivered a keynote address on "AI in Africa - Past, Present & Future" as well as a presentation on "Operationalizing of AI and Big Data & Analytics to help businesses thrive in the Smart Technology Era". The event has been aimed at bringing together, under one roof, all stakeholders in AI on the African continent for the purposes of networking, enhancing knowledge and sharing new ideas and emerging trends.
See the following web page or Artificial Intelligence in Africa for details.
AI on Africa - Past, Present & Future (part 1) - Dr Jacques Ludik (President / CEO, MIIA, Cortex Logic, Bennit.AI)
AI & the Law: Opportunities & Challenges - Aalia Manie (IP & Tech Lawyer, Webber Wentzel)
AI on Africa - Past, Present & Future (part 2) - Dr Jacques Ludik (President / CEO, MIIA, Cortex Logic, Bennit.AI)
AI: Decision Making in an Uncertain World - Dr Benjamin Rosman (Principle Researcher, CSIR)
2017 Update : Global Tends in AI: Are we at the same pace as the rest of the world? - Reshaad Sha (CEO, Sqwidnet)
Intelligent Assistants & Bots for Business and Industry - Kugendran Naidoo (Cognitive Business & Strategy, IBM Watson - Africa/Asia)
Real-life Machine Intelligence Solutions for Industry - Tommaso Gritti (AI Solutions Leader, Brain Creators)
AI Journey in Financial Services - Obins Cloudhary (VP AI, Barclays)
Native Intelligence vs AI: winning the African BOP with AI - Olubayo Adekanmbi (CTO, MTN Nigeria) - Presented by Dr Jacques Ludik
AI in Healthcare - Dr Raban Masuka (UCT)
Bennit.AI - Intelligent Virtual Assistant for Manufacturing - Dr Jacques Ludik
AI Systems Development and Use in Africa - Dr Adebayo Bamitale (Software Engineer, Wonga Ltd)
Surveying AI in Africa - Tatenda Kavu (Computer Science Lecturer, Chinhoyi University, Zimbabwe)
Stock Market Predictions for Sub Sharan African Countries - Dennis Murekachiro (Bindura University of Science Education, Wits Business School)
Download the Conference Brochure: AI Africa Conference Brochure
In the News: The "1st AI Africa Conference"
Accelerate Cape Town Thought Leaders Breakfast: AI and Machine Learning on 3 November 2017, Cape Town, South Africa
Dr Jacques Ludik has participated as a Though Leader on AI and Machine Learning at the Accelerate Cape Town Though Leaders Breakfast on 3 November 2017 from 7:30-10am.
- Impact of AI as exponential technology within the Smart Technology Era
- Applications of AI in a corporate context and in Africa
- Africa - some of the key challenges & opportunities
- Building AI and smart technology skills and capacity in Africa
- AI in Africa -The Future
On the Dot / Media24 event: Leadership and Artificial Intelligence, 2 November 2017, Johannesburg, South Africa
Dr Jacques Ludik has partipated as a guest speaker on AI and Machine Learning at the On the Dot / Media24 event on 2 November 2017.
- Smart Technology Era
- Brief version of my AI story in Africa - the past, the present & the future
- AI as exponential technology in the Smart Technology Era
- Africa - some of the key challenges & opportunities
- AI in Africa -The past
- AI in Africa -The present
- AI in Africa -The future
Making the invisible visible: Digital footprints and financial inclusion on 1 November 2017 at Barclays Think Rise, Cape Town, South Africa
Making the invisible visible: Digital footprints and financial inclusion
Interested in the space where financial services innovation meets data science? We know where you need to be on 1 November!
i2i, Rise Africa and MIIA are hosting a meetup on the theme “Making the invisible visible: Digital footprints and financial inclusion”.
What can I expect? Lightning talks on stimulating ideas followed by networking with like-minded solution seekers, snack-in-hand. The hosts will be joined by top teams from i2i data innovation competition DataHack4FI. For inspiration, read about what Branch is doing in Tanzania.
When? 1 November 2017, 17h30 – 19h00
Where? Rise Africa, 5th floor, Woodstock Exchange, Albert Road, Woodstock
RSVP at http://qkt.io/P7vRVF. Space limited.
Roundtable on AI and Inclusion, CAIR & World Wide Web Foundation, 6 November 2017 in Cape Town, South Africa
CAIR and the World Wide Web Foundation are having an interactive round table on the current landscape of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in South Africa. Dr Jacques Ludik will be representing MIIA at this event.
The event will be held on Monday, 6 November from 2:00-5:00 pm at the World Wide Web Foundation in Cape Town Address: Inyathelo, 2nd Floor, The Armoury, Buchanan Square, 160 Sir Lowry Road, Woodstock, 7925.
The discussion aims to present a balanced, cross-sector assessment of the state of AI in South Africa and the policy environment needed to support it.
While the changes from AI will unlock enormous economic, political and social benefits, there have not been significant policy discussions in South Africa about how best to leverage AI for the benefit of all South Africans - and to minimise any risks and negative effects.
The round table discussion will focus on this gap and potential remedies to close it.
Global Symposium on AI and Inclusion
MIIA (via Dr Jacques Ludik's participation) will also be represented at the Global Symposium on AI and Inclusion on 8–10 November 2017, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Global Network of Internet and Society Research Centers (NoC) has organized the event which are co-hosted, on behalf of the NoC, by the Institute for Technology and Society of Rio de Janeiro and the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, with support from the Ethics and Governance of Artificial Intelligence Fund. The aim of the Symposium is to deepen participants's understanding of Artificial Intelligence inclusion challenges and opportunities, to identify and discuss areas for research, education, or action, and inform and incubate new projects and other collaborative efforts among participants. It will focus on identifying, exploring, and addressing the opportunities and challenges of Artificial intelligence. AI-related topics and issues will be explored from the perspectives of different actors, and by looking at a set of thematic core areas, such as social justice, health and wellbeing, education, data and infrastructure, law and governance, and employment and workplace.
Participants will include representatives from advocacy, philanthropy, media, policy, and industry, who will address both the opportunities and challenges of AI-based technologies through the lens of inclusion.
For more information, visit the following pages:
Machine Intelligence Institute of Africa (MIIA)
For some upcoming MIIA events, see the events page on the MIIA website.
Machine intelligence Institute of Africa (MIIA):
Some Recent MIIA posts:
- Deep Learning in Africa
- Artificial Intelligence in Africa
- How Artificial Intelligence disrupts Industries
- Deep Learning applications, platforms, limitations and quantum computing
- AI in Manufacturing and Data Science/IoT hackathon on Mining data
- Data Science and Machine Intelligence use cases in Africa 2017
- Machine Intelligence Institute of Africa collaboration with Data Science Nigeria
- Solving Intelligence, Solving Real-world Problems
- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science use cases in Africa
- Machine Intelligence Institute of Africa
- Artificial Intelligence in Finance, Education, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Agriculture, and Government
- Artificial Intelligence at the centre of MIIA partner activities with Silicon Cape, Rise Africa, and Insights2Impact
Joining Machine Intelligence Institute of Africa (MIIA)
Share on Facebook
- Anyone interested to join MIIA and/or participate in using smart technologies to help address African problems such as those in education, finance, healthcare, energy, agriculture and unemployment is welcome to do this here. See How to participate for more details on various ways to help MIIA execute its mission.
- View the current MIIA Community on the MIIA website as well as MIIA communications on Slack, the LinkedIn group, Meetup, Google+, FaceBook, and Twitter.
- MIIA Meetup in Cape Town: https://www.meetup.com/Machine-Intelligence-Institute-of-Africa/
- MIIA Meetup in Johannesburg/Pretoria: https://www.meetup.com/Machine-Intelligence-Institute-of-Africa-Jhb-Pta/
- To join the MIIA community on Slack, our real-time community messaging platform, please sign-up via https://miia-community.slack.com/signup. If you have any issues in this regard let us know via email@example.com. As Slack is our primary community chat and messaging vehicle, we highly recommend that you join us on this platform as well.