2 years, 1 month ago
Thanks to all who attended our first Meetup in Cape Town!
We had an awesome meetup with 45 people attending and lots of interaction and participation in the Q&A sessions and the informal discussions afterwards. I think it is fair to say that we are all very excited about the potential of Machine Intelligence & Data Science and its applications to help address some of the key problems and opportunities that we have in Africa. As promised, I’ve included the links below to the presentations, photos, and videos as well as the attendee list. If you have attended and your name does not appear on the list below, please send me an email so that we can get our records up to date.
As discussed the MIIA community’s impact and growth are in our hands and very dependent on your participation and initiatives.
- As Slack is utilised as the MIIA community's real-time messaging and chat environment, we would like to encourage everyone in the MIIA community to join us on Slack. If you have not received an invite to Slack, please let us know via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all members in Cape Town, we would recommend to also join us on MIIA Meetup - Cape Town We also plan to have meetups on other parts of the continent. Let us know if you are able to help facilitate MIIA Meetups in other parts of Africa.
- We would like to encourage the MIIA community to propose as many project ideas as possible. We welcome any application, research or technology related projects that would help solve (or at least be a step towards solving) African problems, help to build a stronger more innovative community, advance the state-of-the-art in Machine Intelligence and Data Science, accelerates and supports entrepreneurial activity, and help drive long-term inclusive and sustainable scientific, technological and socio-economic development on the continent. Please submit projects at http://machineintelligenceafrica.org/activities/projects/ or send us an email at email@example.com.
- We also need community activity leaders to volunteer and help drive various activities. We anticipate various roles to be filled on a volunteer basis of which some can become full-time employment and/or contracted positions. If you are interested, please send us an email at info@machineintelligenceafrica.
- The Sponsors page outlines more details with respect to financial support and the various types of sponsoring available. Please send any sponsor-related questions or comments to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward to our ongoing interaction, activities and meetups to follow!
Thanks and best regards
Links to the presentations on MIIA’s Google Drive (the presentations are also shared in the #general channel on Slack):
Links to photos of our MIIA Meetup in Cape Town:
Links to videos on MIIA’s YouTube Channel (the videos are still uploading and will be available at the links below)
MIIA Meetup - 9 June 2016 Attendees
Ashley Kleynhans + 1
Charles Copley + 1
Leon van Dyk
Mari-Lise du Preez
Rikus van Vuuren + 1
Iva Lopes de Sarria
Bianca Ludik + 1
Benjamin + 1
Jacques HO Ludik
4+ more (for record purposes, please send your name to us if it does not appear on the list above)
Some initial feedback from attendees
Share on Facebook
- thanks @jacques for Cape Town meet-up last night - great to have a chance to meet some of the MIIA folks!
- Thanks Jimmy! Yes, it was indeed great some of the MIIA folks. We’ll be sharing the presentation, photos, and video of the event shortly for others to see as well.
- Thanks, Jacques! Lots of excitement all round and some good connections made. Looking forward to taking this forward with the rest of the MIIA community.
- Ed Owens
- Thanks Jacques for organizing this great Meetup and introducing us to MIIA and TensorFlow.
- Rikus Combrinck
- Excellent event! I had some great conversations. Thanks for making this happen, Jacques.
- Jacques Ludik
- I really enjoyed the meetup with great participation from an awesome audience!
- Peter Wilson
- Well done Jacques, amazing first meetup and there's so much potential we can achieve as a group.
- Ashley Kleynhans
- Excellent introduction, looking forward to great things.