How to participate
Become an active member of the MIIA community
- Participate in projects, which can for example be practical applications, research or technology related. See link to Projects on the Activities page for more details. We are currently using Trello for project collaboration.
- Interact with the rest of the community on Slack (via channels or direct messaging). See also link to Community chat on the Activities page for more details. Any relevant information (e.g, news, resources, sites, blogs, articles, etc.) can be shared with the rest of the community or specific groups within the community (via setting up channels).
- Attend MIIA local meetings (see meetings via Meetup) and other relevant meetup and conferences. We also intend to have local Meetups at various hubs across the continent.
- Provide industry and enterprise domain expertise, application ideas or needs, or some identified African problems that you would like to see addressed
- Do research and/or test the commercial viability of specific applications using Machine Intelligence technologies from an entrepreneurial or business perspective
- Share your Machine Intelligence and Data Science related knowledge with the rest of the community or within project context.
- Participate in training courses (e.g. doing training courses, share your learnings, or help to present training course material)
- Provide mentorship
- All community members are invited to submit blogs on the MIIA website and/or via MIIA's social channels.
Become a Community Activity Leader
- As we get more momentum, we need leaders/managers within the MIIA community to volunteer and help drive various activities. We anticipate various roles to be filled on a volunteer basis of which some can become full-time employment and/or contracted positions:
- Technology Managers
- Training & Events Coordinator(s)
- Project Coordinator
- Website Content Manager
- Geographical Community Leaders
- Project Leaders
- Africa Specialists
- Machine Intelligence Leaders
- Data Science Leaders
- Partnerships Manager
- Funding Manager
- Nominations and recommendations in this regard are welcome at info@machineintelligenceafrica.
Promote MIIA and follow us on social channels and collaboration platforms:
Become a sponsor and/or help to get funding to grow MIIA and its activities
- See below or the Sponsors page for more details.
See some of MIIA’s current sponsors listed on the Partners page.
Different Types of Sponsoring
There are various types of sponsoring available to support MIIA's mission and help grow the community and its activities. Become a sponsor and/or help us to get funding via donations, grants, project-specific funding, and/or technology/tools/platforms related donations.
- Your donations are needed to help establish a community that can execute on the vision and mission of MIIA and help fast track Africa's technological and socio-economic progress via the research and application of Machine Intelligence & Data Science technologies.
Donations to MIIA can be made online via PayPal:
- Single donations
- Monthly recurring donations
Donations to MIIA can be made online via GivenGain:
- Single donations
- Monthly recurring donations
Start fundraising via GivenGain:
Donations can also be send to us via check:
- Make checks payable to:
- Machine Intelligence Institute of Africa
- Unit 20230, Bel’Aire Estate, Somerset West, 7130, South Africa.
- Please include a note with an email address to mailing address so we can provide a tax receipt.
- See MIIA’s nonprofit organization registration number in the registration details below.
- Thanks in advance for your contributions which are very much appreciated and will help grow MIIA.
- Please send any questions or comments to us at email@example.com or the Contact page.
- MIIA is applying for grants and various types of funding that support its vision and mission to help transform Africa by solving African problems, supporting entrepreneurial activity, and help drive long-term inclusive and sustainable scientific, technological and socio-economic development on the continent.
- If you know of any applicable grants / funding that we should apply for, please send the relevant information to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Contact page. Any inputs and recommendations in this regard are appreciated.
- We also cater for project-specific funding that address a specific problem or research area within the ambit of MIIA’s mission. This might include funding for new or existing projects registered on MIIA's Projects page and be done in consultation with our partners (which might include business, nonprofit organizations, academic and research organizations, startup incubators, or government organisations).
- If you have any questions or requests in this regard, please send them to us at email@example.com or via the Contact page.
- If you have or know of technology/tools/platforms that might be useful or relevant to MIIA in the execution of its operations and/or machine intelligence / data science related projects (and can be offered at a discount or for free), please send the relevant information to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Contact page. Any inputs and recommendations in this regard are appreciated.
- MIIA is also registered with SANGONeT and TechSoup Global. The SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal is a partnership between SANGONeT and TechSoup Global, a San Francisco-based nonprofit organisation that assists nonprofits globally to access technology to deepen the impact of their work. TechSoup Global's mission is working toward a time when every nonprofit and NGO on the planet has the technology resources and knowledge they need to operate at their full potential.
MIIA's Registration Details:
- MIIA is a nonprofit organization with the following registration details:
- Organization Name: MACHINE INTELLIGENCE INSTITUTE OF AFRICA NPC
- Registration Number: 2015/300168/08
- Date of Incorporation: 21/08/2015
- Registered in the Republic of South Africa in terms of the Companies Act 71 of 2008 and Companies Amendment Bill 40 of 2010
- Please contact us if you need more information.